Add to favorite
 
123
Subscribe to our Newsletters Subscribe to our Newsletters Get Daily Updates RSS


10 Most Beautiful Mansions of Moscow, Part 3
October 10, 2014 14:55


10 Most Beautiful Mansions of Moscow, Part 2

8. Pashkov's House

One of the best-known classicist buildings of Moscow, it nowadays belonging to the Russian State Library. It was built during the period from 1784 to 1786. Pyotr Pashkov, the son of the striker of Peter the Great and the former captain-lieutenant of the Semenovsky Regiment was the customer. The combination of stern and solemn antique style with purely Moscow ornamentalism makes the house a masterpiece of original Russian Classicism.

The majestic palace is veiled in legends. As a legend goes, it was on the tower of the Pashkov’s House that the Prussian king bowed to Moscow for rescuing Prussia from Napoleon. Another legend states that underpass from Zamoskvorechye to the Kremlin was laid under Pahskov’s House. By the way, it was on a terrace of this house where Voland, Azazello and Matthew Levi came together in the final of the novel Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.
 
Located: 3/5, Vozdvizhenka Street, near Biblioteka Imeni Lenina metro station.
 
 
 
 

 
9. Kharitonenko's House

The estate in Sofiyskaya Embankment was built in 1891-1893 by order of the famous sugar manufacturer Pavel Kharitonenko. The building was designed by the architect Vasily Zalessky in the Renaissance and Baroque style. The stern and at the same time elegant facade of the house is trimmed with rustication, windows are framed with classical platbands. The young architect Fyodor Schechtel was invited for design of the house interiors and it turned to be one of the first independent works by the future renowned master of Russian architecture. Presently the house is the residence of the ambassador of Great Britain.
 
Located at: 14/12, Sofiyskaya Embankment, near Borovitskaya Metro Station.
 
10. Peter’s en Route Imperial Palace

Peter’s en Route Imperial Palace was built in 1775-1783 in honor of the victory of Russia over Turkey. It was conceived as the grand residence of Russian emperors and intended for the sovereigns’ last stop on the way from St. Petersburg to Moscow. The palace architecture completely corresponded to its assignment: the residence was considered practically informal and therefore was designed in easy-going freestyle. The palace gained festive and merry character due to its numerous white stone details, such as platbands, arches, carved arch ribs, and low pot-like columns. Presently the palace is officially named the Reception House of the Moscow City Hall.
Located at: 40, Leningradsky Avenue, near Dynamo metro station.
 
 

Booking.com

 

Author: Vera Ivanova

Tags: Mansions of Moscow Old Moscow Russian Architecture Moscow Architecture  

Next Previous

You might also find interesting:

Khokhloma Painting Bird of Happiness: Wooden Guardian of Family Hearth Polkhov-Maidan Painting Dyatkovo Crystal-Glass Russian Embroidery









Comment on our site


RSS   twitter   facebook   submit

Bookmark and Share

search on the map
TAGS:
beauty contest  biology  Anna Miss Remizova  St. Petersburg Guest Card  Galina Ulanova  Festivals in Moscow  Russian scientists  Russian Cinema  Russian women  Russian regions  Festival "Parts of the World"  Leonid Bronevoy  Exhibitions in Moscow  Russian courts  Yolki   Russian opera singers  St. Petersburg  Sokolniki  Moscow traffic jams  Neanderthal Man  Moscow Philharmonic Hall  Russian Stage Directors  Aleksandr Demyanenko  Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Russia  Russian tourism  Russian language  Russian Historians  Victory Day  Golden Dolphin  Sculpture  Events in Moscow  Christmas  Russian Theater  Ivan Shishkin  Rostov  Suyginsky Forest Park   Russian science  bus tickets Russia FIFA  Russian oil  Russian business  Sergey Sobyanin  the Crimea  Russian education  Russian Football Union  Transportation  travel to Russia  Moscow  Latvia  Elbrus  Hereditary Diseases 


Travel Blogs
Top Traveling Sites