From October 12 the underground labyrinths of St. Basil’s Cathedral became opened for visitors for the first time. The completion of restoration works is timed to the 450th anniversary of building the Cathedral. The St. Basil’s Cathedral was built from 1554 up to 1560, during the reign of Ivan the Terrible.
According to the experts of the State Historical Museum, the underground constructions, ‘podklety’, will appear as they were created in XVI century. Besides, an exposition devoted to the history of the Cathedral and the Kazan campaign of Ivan the Terrible is held in the labyrinths.
Author: Irina Fomina