A monument to the Russian Empress Maria Aleksandrovna – the spouse of Emperor Alexander II – has been unveiled in the Mariinsky Posad town named after her.
It is a reminder that on June 18, 1856 the Russian tsar renamed the Sundyr Settlement into the town of Mariinsky Posad in honor of his wife.
The monument has been set up in the Naberezhnaya Street, in the historical part of the town, which is keeping up an ensemble of monuments of history and architecture. The author of the sculpture Ivan Zelenkov personally approved of this place.
By the way, for the 400th anniversary of the Romanovs House there will also appear a chapel in memory of Maria Shestova, the grandmother of the first tsar. It will be located in the Konstantin Ivanov garden square in Mariinsky Posad.
Author: Vera Ivanova