The belfry of Kizhi graveyard is open to the public.
The guests of the “Kizhi” museum will for the first time in many years have an opportunity to look at the reserved island and the famous skerries of Kizhi from the bird’s-eye view, to study the main belfry of Kizhi area.
The belfry of Kizhi graveyard was built in 1862 and is a part of the World Cultural Heritage “Kizhi Graveyard”. In 1949-1959 it was restored by the project of the founder of the “Kizhi” museum A.V. Opolovnikov. The height of the belfry is 30 meters. The ringing of its bells can be heard throughout the area, combining the chimes of the surrounding churches and chapels into a single melody. The first floor of the belfry hosts the exhibition of ancient bells brought from different places of Zaonezhye. The cost of visiting the belfry makes up 300 roubles, according to the press service of the “Kizhi” museum.
Author: Anna Dorozhkina