Add to favorite
 
Subscribe to our Newsletters Subscribe to our Newsletters Get Daily Updates RSS

Gelendzhik Will Host a Carnival
7.04.2016 23:56
Gelendzhik Will Host a Carnival
(Source: http://tourism.interfax.ru/ru/news)

The city-resort of Gelendzhik will open summer season with a number of celebrations on June 4.

      In the afternoon on the central square of the resort the hymn of the city will be performed for the first time. Further, on the embankment of Gelendzhik, near the cafe "Parasol", the grand opening of the skate park with slides, ramps and other elements to perform extreme stunts, as well as children's and street workout-sites will be held.

      For the third time within the framework of the Carnival Balloon Festival will be held. This year, as promised by the organizers, it will be even more colorful.

      In the evening, residents and guests of the resort will witness a grand carnival parade featuring decorated vehicles and platforms.

      

      Gelendzhik stands on the coast of Gelendzhik Bay of the Black Sea, surrounded with spurs of Markotkh Range of the Greater Caucasus, 180 km to the southwest of Krasnodar. It is located 43 km to the southeast of the railways station of Novorossiysk city (which has bus and sea communication as well), on the highway Novorossiysk - Tbilisi - Baku. The climate here is of subtropical dry Mediterranean type. Winters are soft and comparatively warm for Russia. Sometimes cold north-eastern winds blow from the land. Average temperature of January-February is +4. Summers are hot, with fair dry weather. Average temperature of July is +24. The most favourable climatic conditions for recreation here are from June to September. The swimming season lasts from May to October. Along with the major natural attraction of its climate and sea, the resort boasts mineral waters. They also use here therapeutic muds imported from the Salt Lake near Taman. The resorts treat patients suffering from diseases of cardiovascular, nervous and endocrine systems, respiratory organs, and muscular-skeletal system. Gelendzhik is the centre of Gelendzhik resort zone of the Black Sea coast spreading for about 100 km including the resort districts of Kabardinka (to the northwest of Gelendzhik), Divnomorskoe, Djanhot, Betta, Krinniza and Arkhipo-Osipovka (to the southeast of Gelendzhik). The total area of Gelendzhik makes 1228 sq.km.


      
 

      
Sightseeing

      
 

      
Gelendzhik extends over a long narrow strip of the seacoast of the Gelendzhik Bay, and the bend of the coastline determines a slightly rounded direction of city streets. In the 19th century it was built up according to a regular planning. 

      
In the late 19th – early 20th centuries resort buildings were designed in the style of eclecticism and art nouveau. 

      
In the vicinities of Gelendzhik there is a remarkable forest of Pitsunda Pines, which is a nature sanctuary, as well as gardens and vineyards. Medieval Adygei kurgan burial grounds will be interesting to lovers of antiquity. Gelendzhik has several museums: Local History Museum, V. G. Korolenko's House Museum, the Central Exhibition Hall, and others.

      

      
On the 23 of June 1831 eight Russian war vessels appeared near the Gelendzhik Harbor in the Black Sea. Russian troops wanted to enter the harbor and to build a fortress in order to take control of the whole Black Sea coast. It took Russian soldiers two days to lower the boats into the chopping sea. Landing party had a mission to get to the shore, examine it and choose an appropriate place for building a fortress. Soldiers landed at the very convenient Tonkiy Cape, but found no fresh water there but a large swamp. Thus they had to move further to the Tolstiy Cape, where hill-men attacked them. The Tolstiy Cape also appeared to be unsuitable for the fortress, and soldiers had to move a little bit more to find a perfect place with plenty of fresh water. However, before the construction started, the site had to be lifted. Construction was scheduled for three years. Up to 1836 Gelendzhik remained the only Russian fortress on the Black Sea Coast. The Russians and the Circassians slowly sorted out all misunderstanding and started trading. In 1863 Gelendzhik fortress became the settlement and trade spot on the Black sea coast. Russian merchants arrived and built storage and shops. The government granted them the duty-free trade for 25 years. The Gelendzhik Harbor was an important strategic object – it hosted second fleet of the Black Sea. From here war vessels controlled the coastline up to Gagra (now Abkhazia), keeping Turkish and English ships away from the shores. When the Crimean War (1853-1856) began, the Black sea coast was in trouble. Russian fortresses were surrounded by English, French and Turish ships from the seaside, and by the Adygs – from the mountains. The decision was to withdraw the garrisons and to blow the fortresses up. In 1854 transport ships arrived to the harbor, collected wounded soldiers, food and weapons and left for Novorossiysk.

      Gelendzhik started developing after the highway connected Novorossiysk and Sukhumi. Many Russian and foreign merchants came to the town to sell and buy land, to build houses and to create gardens and vinelands. Privileged class built beautiful summerhouses there. Foreign entrepreneurs tried to get maximum benefit from the Black sea lands without caring about the consequences. Another attraction for investors was malmstone deposit – natural material for cement production. For 30 years French cement factory poisoned the air of the future resort. That factory was the only place, where electric lights reflected in waters at night. Domestic landlords were different – they wanted to make the place a beautiful spot by introduction of gardening, wine growing and building resort areas. Famous vineyard owners were the founders of first resort areas of Gelendzhik. 1900 was the year first sanatorium opened. In 1903 studies of local climate started – medics were excited by the healing effect of marine air on patients with bone tuberculosis. Same year a small colony for children, suffering form bone tube tuberculosis appeared in the area.

      
 

      
The beginning of the 20th century met Gelendzhik with 3000 citizens, and 8000 people came to the settlement in summer. In 1915 Gelendzhik acquired the town status. In 1970 the town became the All-Soviet health resort with 1.5 million visitors every year. Hard times came in 1990s, but they weren’t long. Another 1.5 million guests came to the town in 2001. Today the town is among most comfortable Russian towns.

      
 

      
 

      

      
 

      
 



Author: Anna Dorozhkina

Tags: Gelendzhik     

Next Previous


You might also find interesting:








Comment on our site


RSS   twitter      submit



TAGS:
Travel event  Buryatia  Omsk  Krasnoyarsk International Music Festival of the Pacific Rim  Tretyakov Gallery  South Stream  Sochi 2014 Paralympic Games  Magnit  company news  Exhibitions in Moscow  Russian North  Kunstkamera Museum  Russian Monuments  Vladivostok  Russian Metro  Russian business  Online Exhibitions  Russian tourism  Planeta LeD  Exhibitions in St. Petersburg  YouTube  Ustyuzhna  Dmitri Benardaki  St. Petersburg  Moscow  Pavel Nakhimov  Sokolniki Park  Tourism Barents Summit  Russian religion  Russian scientists  Forestry  Rostov Region  Russian Cinema  incident  Pavel Nikonov  Megafon  Mikhail Bulgakov  Tatarstan  Orthodoxy  Russian science  Moscow actions  Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Russia  Russian Traditions  Ukraine crisis  Emil Gilels  Rock Hills  Tyutchev  Russian economy  Volgograd Architecture  Leo Tolstoy 


Travel Blogs
Top Traveling Sites