Add to favorite
 
Subscribe to our Newsletters Subscribe to our Newsletters Get Daily Updates RSS

Serpukhov And Kolomna Are Trying To Join the Golden Ring Brand
29.06.2017 16:32
Serpukhov And Kolomna Are Trying To Join the Golden Ring Brand
(Source: http://www.neizvestniy-geniy.ru/cat/photo)

Serpukhov and Kolomna have the prerequisites to enter the number of settlements that host tourists under the Golden Ring of Russia brand. The main attraction of Kolomna - Kolomna Kremlin - became the winner of the project "Russia-10". At the same time, Serpukhov is also a well-known cultural and tourist center.

      On Thursday a meeting of the working group of the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation was held, where the issue of the prospects for the development of the Golden Ring of Russia route  was discussed.


      
One of the options for resolving this issue is the creation of a new brand "The Big Golden Ring of Russia", which may include new cities. Discussion of the topic will continue in the framework of the working group and the expert community.

      

      Serpukhov is located in the Southern part of the Moscow Region (99 km to the south of Moscow) and stands on the Nara River, a tributary of Oka. The population of the town is 126.7 thousand people (as of 2005). The town has been recorded since 1339 and has a number of historic places of interest to offer. Among them is the unique history and art museum, Serpukhov ancient centre with preserved fragments of white-stone Kremlin walls and the Trinity Cathedral standing on a high hill at the confluence of rivers Serpeika and Nara, Wall of the Vistosky Monastery, as well as seventeen federal monuments of architecture. In the outskirts of the town there is a unique Oka Terrace Biosphere Reserve with ice lakes, ancient woods, picturesque landscapes and a wisent nursery. To the North-East of Serpukhov, not far from the town boundaries, in the village of Pushchino one can find ruins of the old palace of the Princes Vyazemskys. It remains indefinable when the town of Serpukhov was founded. It was first mentioned as a town in the ecclesiastical letter missive of the Great Prince of Moscow Ivan Kalita. The text dates back to the year 1328, 1336 or 1339. Serpukhov, however, celebrated its official 650th anniversary in 1989.

      

      From 1341 to 1456 it was the capital of appanage Serpukhov Princedom and later became part of the Moscow State. The early history of the town was in many ways determined by outstanding statesmen and pastors of the Moscow Rus’, namely Metropolitan Alexis, Prince Vladimir Andreyevich the Brave, Sergiy of Radonezh and his disciple Athanasius Vysotsky.

      In 1358 Prince Vladimir Andreyevich of Serpukhov became the only heir of the Serpukhov Princedom. In 1374 he founded the town’s first Kremlin made of oak, though he did not live there permanently, being the owner of a third of Moscow city and a number of settlements near Moscow. In the 14th century the strengthening of Serpukhov appanage started from the foundation of the Lord’s Monastery in 1360. The monastery was established by Alexis Metropolitan of Moscow who sent his lay brother Barlaam to find a place for a cloister there. In 1374 Vysotsky Monastery was founded by Prince Vladimir of Serpukhov: by his request St. Sergii of Radonezh came on foot to Serpukhov and laid the first stone in the foundation of the monastery’s Conception Cathedral. The monastery’s first fathers superior were Athanasius Vysotsky Senior and Athanasius Vysotsky Junior. The monasteries built on the banks of Nara, near its inflow to the Oka River came to be spiritual and cultural centres, as well as outposts of the Moscow Princedom on its South-Western border.

      

      Prince Vladimir Andreyevich took part in campaigns of Great Prince Dmitry Ivanovich of Moscow against Lithuania, Tver and Rzhev. In the famous Battle on Kulikovo Field in 1380 his regiment determined the victory of Russians over the Horde. This victory brought him the honourable title of the Brave.

      

      In 1382 Khan Tokhtamysh burnt down Serpukhov and seized Moscow. Vladimir Andreyevich with his troops crushed one of the Khan’s regiments and in that way made the Mongols retreat from the Moscow lands. In 1408 Serpuhkov was burnt down by the Horde Khan Edigu and two years later it was smashed up by the Lithuanian Prince Svidrigailo.

      

      

      

      In 1410 Prince Vladimir the Brave died and was laid to rest in the Archangel Cathedral of the Moscow Kremlin. The family of Serpukhov appanage princes came to an end in the early 1480s. In the late 15th- early 16th centuries the town was given up to Kazan khans. Afterwards Serpukhov was eventually annexed to Moscow State.

      

      Under Ivan the Third “riverside service” was organized, with Serpukhov among other towns forming the protection forefront against raids of Crimean khans.

      

      In 1556 white-stone fortress was built instead of the wooden one. In wartime the town was hosting a big regiment. The fortified walls were designed for placement of cannons and huarquebuses, since artillery was already widely used at that time.

      

      In the end of the 17th century, a new building of the Trinity Cathedral was built on the Kremlin territory after a fire (the cathedral on this place existed since the first fortress had been built there in the 14th century).

      

      According to the first census of the Serpukhov population of 1552, most of the town dwellers were into leather and iron working and pottery.

      

      In the 18th century Serpukhov became centre of sail-cloth manufacturing. In 1761 already 30 per cent of Russian sail-cloth export volume came from the town’s factories.

      

      In 1781 the town’s coat of arms was established: it was “a peacock with extended feathers against red background”.

      

      In 1784 Serpukhov got a regular building development plan. In the 19th century it was developing as the centre of textile manufacture. 92 per cent of all workers were employed at fabric factories. Konshin’s textile mills in Serpukhov became the largest textile producer in Russia of the second half of the 19th century.

      

      The name of Anton Pavlovich Chekhov is associated with Serpukhov’s Municipal Council, which played an important role in building of schools, hospitals and roads. The famous writer when living in his Melikhovo Estate was a member of the Assembly of Land and took part in meetings of the Sanitary Council.

      

      Monasteries and churches imparted inimitable outlook to the town. In 1918 Serpukhov with the population of around 30 thousand people boasted 2 monasteries, 22 churches and 6 belfries.

      

      Places of Interest

      

      Rich historical past imparted us a number of interesting monuments, among them buildings of civil and industrial architecture. Serpukhov is also rich in cultural traditions. Its pride is History and Arts Museum, which is famous for its richest collection of fine art and location in the town’s best merchant mansion (dating back to 1900, by architect R.I. Klein) once owned by manufacturer A. V. Marayeva.

      

      The suburbs harbour memory of the once luxurious park and palace ensembles of manorial estates of the 17th-19th centuries, such as an 18th century estate in Rai-Semyonovskoye Settlement formerly belonging to Pavel the First’s knight marshal A. P. Nashchokin, Pushchino-na-Nare (18th c.) – an ancestral estate of the Vyazemskys Princes, Podmoklovo Estate owned by the Golitsyns Princes in pre-Peter’s epoch and to Dolgorukys Princes in the early 18th century.

      

      Kolomna is pierced by the Ryazan Tract – the old road runs along the October Revolution Street. The city is surrounded by a by-pass road.

      

      Several districts along the old Ryazan Tract boast historical buildings of the XIX century, and No.192 of the October Revolution Street hosts apartments, previously belonging to I.I Lazhechnikov, a Russian writer. 54-meter-high bell tower of the St. John the Evangelist Church dominates over the other side of the road, which can be reached via pedestrian subway, forming a square together with shopping stalls and a parking place. Neighbouring square of Two Revolutions is notable for the monument to those shot for their participation in the Revolt of 1905.

      

      When one crosses the street, moving away from the shopping stalls, he finds himself in the historic centre of Kolomna, located on the shore of the Moskva River near the confluence of the Kolomenka River. Kolomna’s Kremlin, built in XVI century, now has only six towers instead of original 17 and fragments of protective walls. Near the stalls one can admire Kremlin walls, Granovitaya Tower and the largest Kremlin tower – round Marinkina Tower (named after wife of False Dmitry, Marina Mniszech, who is believed to have died there). Despite the fact the Kremlin lost its original appearance, because the citadel became less important in the middle of XVII century and was taken to pieces by local population, Kremlin’s walls and towers still fascinate visitors by striking height and splendour. Fortress’s walls used to be 18 meters high and 3-4.5 meters thick.

      

      In the inner yard of the Granovitaya Tower there are buildings of Brusensky convent, surrounded by the fence with little sharp tips (Lazhechnikova St., 12); functional pyramid Uspenskaya (the Resurrection) church of XVI century with refectory and domeless cathedral of Exaltation of the Holy Cross. The Brusensky convent is adjacent to the fortress wall.

      

      Inside the Kremlin one can admire the Cathedral Square with ancient temples: five-domed Uspensky (the Assumption) town cathedral (1672-1682) and Tikhvinskaya church with large pyramid bell tower (1692). To the north from the cathedral Voskresenskaya (the Resurrection) church (XVI century) is situated. All monuments of architecture carry “Government Protected” signs, but lack signs with their names, thus it’s quite hard to understand what church is in front of you without guide’s help. The Cathedral Square is connected with Pyatnitskie (Friday) Gates via Lazareva Street. To the left from the gates there is the church of Nikola Gostinny (about 1530), and near it you can see the church of Holy Cross day, a square building with Empire style columns. So-called city trade quarters are situated eastwards from the Pyatnitskie (Friday) Gates – ancient houses and Nikolskaya church of XVII century are quite attractive sights.

      

      Near the Uspensky (the Assumption) town cathedral Novo-Golutvin functional convent, established in 1801, is located and is notable for three-storied Empire style bell tower (1825). The convent’s territory is a real pleasure for an eye, especially elegant building of Troitskaya church (1680). Another attraction of the convent is two-storied long building of XII century – pontifical house. Pokrovskaya (Holy Protection) chapel is located near the northern gates of the convent.

      

      Regional Museum of Local Lore, History and Economy can be found in the former building of Michael the Archangel church (Grazhdanskaya St., 71). The museum exhibits various show-pieces – nature, history and arts of the region are open for acquaintance. The museum can be reached by taking a tram from Kolomna railway station. Kolomna’s tram, by the way, carries its guests and citizens since 1948.

      

      While walking along the October Revolution Street, one can reach the Soviet Square, where a hotel and the City Council are located. The Street of the Second International, where one can get by turning from the October Revolution Street towards city market, hosts the Temple of the Most Holy Trinity, which was erected in 1696.

      

      Kolomna’s outskirts shelter two monasteries: Bobrenev monastery is located in Staroe Bobrenevo village on the opposite shore of the Moskva River; its territory opens fascinating scenery – Kolomna’s centre. Staro-Golutvin monastery is located almost near the confluence of the Moskva and Oka Rivers, near the railroad. The monastery is on his way to renaissance – its buildings are being restored.

      
 

Sources: http://tourism.interfax.ru 

Author: Anna Dorozhkina

Tags:      

Next Previous


You might also find interesting:

Tourist Navigation Will Be Created In Tver Region
28.04.2017
Tula the Workshop of Russia
16.07.2017
Ostankino Park Welcomes Skiers
10.12.2016
Territory Of the Kolomenskoye Museum-Reserve Will Be Passed To Moscow Metro Construction Site
26.02.2017
Access to the Forest is Strictly Prohibited In Buryatia
08.08.2017



comments powered by Disqus




Comment on our site


RSS   twitter   facebook   submit

Bookmark and Share

Russian Parliament in Action

search on the map
TAGS:
Russian tourism  VTB  Moscow Region  Russian women  Russian religion  Russian business  Domenico Trezzini  Bakhrushin Museum  human rights  Russian history  Serdobsk  Russian theatre  Digital Medicines  Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Russia  Subway  Sergey Kalugin  Russian Cinema  Russian wrestlers  Murmansk  Alexander Kharitonov  Christmas fairs in Moscow  Museums of Writers  Russian fashion  incident  TPS Avia   Gergiev  Painting  corruption  Maya Plisetskaya  Archeology  Exhibitions in Moscow  Film Directors  Moscow  Domodedovo  War and Peace  Festivals of St. Petersburg  Mariinsky theatre  Moscow traffic  Hollywood  The Romanov Family  Russian Animation  Sochi Games   Russian Literature  Suyginsky Forest Park   Waste Disposal  Lilac Garden  Primorye  Graphic Art  Ilya Shiyan  Russian Arts and Crafts 


Travel Blogs
Top Traveling Sites