Add to favorite
 
Subscribe to our Newsletters Subscribe to our Newsletters Get Daily Updates RSS

Gingerbread Festival Will Be Held In Tula
4.08.2017 23:49
Gingerbread Festival Will Be Held In Tula
(Source: http://tourism.interfax.ru/ru/news/articles/42737)

The second interregional festival "Gingerbread Day" will be held in the Tula Kremlin on Saturday, the press service of the Tula government reported. In total, 10 thematic areas will be organized within the framework of the festival. Guests will be greeted by the art object "Gingerbread House" almost 3 meters high.

      The center of the festival will be the exposition of the producers "Tula region - gingerbread paradise". At the fair, 20 gingerbread producers from 15 regions will be represented. There will also be an interactive playground "The Courtyard of Joys and Works" with master classes on traditional crafts of the Tula region.

      Visitors can taste the famous Bolotovsky tea and see how biscuits are baked.

      Within the framework of the festival there will be a summer cinema, old Russian rides and amusements. Seven museums of the Tula region organize an exhibition of samovars.

      Currently gingerbread production is located in the Tula factories "Yasnaya Polyana", "Honey Traditions", "Bakery Polyakova." Printed gingerbread are shaped using special boards. The first mention of the Tula gingerbread is dated to the 17th century.

      Tula was first mentioned in the Nikon manuscript, dating from 1146. In 1503, it joined the Moscow principality and served as a fortress protecting Moscow on the south. Tula lay in the path of Tatar armies advancing on Moscow and was fortified from the 15th century. It has long been famous for gunsmithing. The first steelworks and metal-cutting and weapon-making factories appeared in the city as far back as the 16th century, and the most famous industrialist was Nikita Demidov, who made his way into big business from being an ordinary blacksmith. In 1702 Peter the Great awarded the famous Tula smith Nikita Demidov with land in the Ural Mountains where rich metal deposits were found, leading to the establishment of metal production. The Demidov dynasty made Tula famous for all types of metal works, guns and samovars, both industries based on local iron lore and carbon deposits. Today, Tula is a small industrial town, proud of its historical past and unique museums.

      Like many other Russian towns Tula can boast an ancient Kremlin. The walls and towers are well-preserved as well as two cathedrals of the Kremlin. Presently one of the cathedrals serves as an Armory Museum displaying all kinds of weapons old and modern from different parts of the world and the death-mask of Peter the Great; the other one is in operation. In the museum there is a torture chamber worth seeing. The local military history clubs stage performances at weekends near the Kremlin. The ancient streets start from the Kremlin walls; here one can see old noblemen and merchants’ houses, though not many of them are in their best condition. If you take the street going northward from the Kremlin you’ll come across the monument to the Demidovs, Great Russian industrialists of the 18th and 19th centuries. A bit further, on the opposite side of the street a monument to Peter the Great stands. Among other numerous museums of Tula there is the Museum of Samovar, located close to the Kremlin, the Museum of Tula Honey-Cakes, the best in Russia, and the Museum of Tula Antiquities.

      

The city of Tula was first mentioned in the Russian chronicles in 1146, being one year older than Moscow. Tula was part of Ryazan Princedom until 1503, when it moved under the patronage of Muscovy. Later Tula was an important fortification, located near southern borders of Muscovy, and the centre of abatis line. In 1552 the town survived the siege of Tatar hordes, headed by the Crimean khan Devlet-Girey the First. In 1607 the Kremlin of Tula sheltered insurgent peasants, headed by I. Bolotnikov. Since the end of the 16 century Tula became famous for its armourers. In the 17th century Tula became the centre of iron industry, since massive deposits of iron ores were discovered in surrounding territories. Russian tsar Peter the Great ordered to build state iron works in Tula, and their construction finished in1712. In 1796 Tula became the main district town. Arms production and metalwork kept developing in the town – workers produced samovars and accordions. In 1890 the town sheltered 6 thousand of workers; in 1913 – 18 thousand; in 1917 – 45 thousand. Soviet regime came to Tula in December 1917. During World War II (known in Russia as Great Patriotic War) population of Tula took part in military actions and won battle against fascist troops, for which the city was awarded the honorable title of hero-city in 1966. 

      Tula is a large industrial centre with following main industries: iron-and-steel industry, engineering industry and metal working. Other enterprises deal with chemistry (rubber technical goods), light and food industry (hosiery and knit goods, furniture, sugar, beer and etc). Accordions are also an important part of Tula’s production. Samovars became Tula’s symbol – the Russian proverb “they don't carry samovars to Tula town” means the same as “they don't bring coals to Newcastle”. The centre of Tula, the most ancient part of the city, is located on the left bank of the Upa River, and three industrial regions occupy the right bank, where famous armourers have dwelled a long time ago. Tula is the centre of settlement agglomeration, which includes several neighboring villages. The city plan was approved by the appropriate authorities in 1779, and since that time rectangular Kremlin, built between 1514 and 1776, was considered to be the centre of the city. Several churches, built in a variety of architectural styles, always added some charm to industrial Tula. In 18-19 centuries Tula acquired houses in classic style. Soviet times brought new large residential areas, the city park and municipal buildings. Tula has facilities for educating and bringing glimpses of culture its citizens: several higher educational institutions, colleges, theatres, a circus, several museums and etc. Those fond of cycling can ride their bike at local cycle track. Tula gave birth to many famous people – writers, weapons engineers and teachers. Famous Russian writer Leo Tolstoy owned a manor, named “Yasnaya Polyana”, 12 km away from Tula, where now his museum is located.

      


      
 

Sources: http://tourism.interfax.ru 

Author: Anna Dorozhkina

Tags:      

Next Previous


You might also find interesting:

Maps Of Yaroslavl Will Distributed For Free
30.04.2017
Moscow Air is 2.5 Times Cleaner than 5 Years Ago
16.03.2017
Slyudyanka Will Be Included In the "Fairy-tale Map of Russia" Project
24.04.2017
Tuvan Mutton Gastronomic Festival
04.08.2017
Confederations Cup-2017 Ticket Centre Opened In Moscow
26.04.2017



comments powered by Disqus




Comment on our site


RSS   twitter   facebook   submit

Bookmark and Share

Russian Parliament in Action

search on the map
TAGS:
Frankophone Film Festival  Russian regions  Russian Stage Directors  Russian tourism  Norilsk Nickel  Alexey Skurlatov  International space station  Russian Cinema  Russian physics  Water  Stanislav Lomov  Russian scientists  NSA  Penza  Leonid Yengibarov  Suzdal  Exhibitions in Moscow  Painting  Russian Literature  Sergey Storchak  Horse Fair  Vladimir Tsigal  Russian cuisine  Ivan the Terrible  Russian Museum  Eduard Steinberg  Moscow hotels  Olga Vilukhina  contest  Russian history  Erotic  AK-102  Russian interent  Russian oligarchs  Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Russia  Russian political parties  activity holidays  Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week   Marine Biology  airport transfers  Kuban   Skolkovo  Metro at night  Football  Transaero  Russian business  Moscow  Rambler  internet access  Archeology 


Travel Blogs
Top Traveling Sites