Add to favorite
 
Subscribe to our Newsletters Subscribe to our Newsletters Get Daily Updates RSS

Chaika Express Between Yaroslavl and Rybinsk is Launched
7.08.2017 17:30
Chaika Express Between Yaroslavl and Rybinsk is Launched
(Source: https://www.yar.kp.ru/daily/26714/3739957)

The Northern Railway (SZD, a branch of Russian Railways) on Sunday launched the Chaika Express between Yaroslavl and Rybinsk. The ceremony was attended by the acting governor of the Yaroslavl region Dmitry Mironov, Yaroslavl Mayor Vladimir Sleptsov, the head of the SZD Valery Tanaev, member of the Federation Council Valentina Tereshkova.

      The route was launched jointly with the government of the Yaroslavl region within the framework of the program of social and economic development of the region "10 growth points". "In developing the strategy of social and economic development, we considered the issues of infrastructure development until 2025. I am confident that the route will be in demand not only by the residents of the region, but also by tourists," Mironov stressed.

      The train will move without stopping, the journey time will be 1 hour and 15 minutes.  The fare is 200 rubles. The cars are equipped with soft armchairs with head restraints, toilet rooms, coolers, as well as areas for moms with  children.

      SZD operates in the Yaroslavl, Ivanovo, Kostroma, Vologda, Arkhangelsk regions, as well as in the Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous District and the Komi Republic.

       


      
The city of Yaroslavl on the Volga is one thousand years old. The city is world famous for its historical and cultural heritage and an unforgettable atmosphere of an old Russian provincial town. As the city was once the center of an independent principality, it may be proud of its wonderful architecture, churches and monasteries in particular, with their bright decoration and frescoes. There is also a great number of remarkable buildings near the monastery. The monumental Church of the Archangel Michael stands on the Kotorosl Embankment on the site of a former palace. It marked the boundary line between the Kremlin and the Torg (Market Place) which began "at the moat beyond the ramparts". The Spass-on-Gorod Church built by the townspeople is situated on the market square itself and is famous for the great variety of historical scenes depicted in the frescoes inside the church. The Church of Elijah the Prophet is located in the center of the town. The church is richly decorated with frescoes by a group of well-known artists from Kostroma Gury Nikitin and Sila Savin. These frescoes make the church a true museum of the Old Russian painting. 

      Yaroslavl is famous for the beauty of its embankments. The Volga and Kotorosl embankments from the Church of Elijah the Prophet back to the Transfiguration Monastery make a wonderful 1,5km walk. On the way, you’ll be able to enjoy the view of the Church of St. Nicholas the Miracle-Worker, one of Yaroslavl’s first stone churches, built in 1622. The church has a sparkling baroque iconostasis and frescoes depicting the life of St. Nicholas, the patron saint of commerce and traveling. On the Volga Embankment near the steep slope down to the river there is a monument to the Russian poet Nicolai Nekrasov. Nekrasov was born in Yaroslavl. He studied in this city. His heart belonged here and it was that he found the subjects of his poetry. He loved the Volga River and glorified it in his poems. In 1841, 1845, 1853, 1855 the poet visited these places. He wrote his poems "Wedding", "Sasha". Characters of Nekrasov poems are represented on the special decorative board that is attached to the whole pedestal. The Volga embankment also houses the Yaroslavl Art Museum, with 18th to 20th century Russian paintings. A little further along the river embankment are the Volga Bastion, built as a watchtower in the 1660s and the 17th century former Metropolitan’s Chambers housing the old Yaroslavl art section of the Art Museum, wit icons and other works from the 13th to 19th centuries. The two churches, the wall with entrance gate, and a bell-tower make up the famous Korovnikovskaya Sloboda ensemble built in 1654 and decorated at the end of the century with all the colourful magnificence of the Church of St. Nicholas-the-Wet. Across the Kotorosl River there is another group of churches with the renowned Tolchkovo Church. Seen from a distance it appears to have three domes, but a closer look reveals fifteen sets in clusters on tall, slender drums! The building glows with a rare blend of frescoes, ornamental brick, terra-cotta and glazed tiles. Everything is decorated—the windows, the shutters, the doors and porch pediments. On Tugova Hill to the left of the village of Tolchkovo rises the little single-domed Church of St. Paraskeva. It stands above the common grave of Yaroslavl warriors who fell in battle against the Tatars. To the right of it we can admire the superb silhouette of the white five-domed Church of St. Theodore. Further on there is the Church of St. Nicholas Pensky, and beyond it we can just make out the outlines of the St. Nicholas-at-Melenki Church with its big, scaled domes. The walls of practically every one of these buildings are covered with frescoes. There is a large number of them at the Church of the Presentation of the Virgin at the fourteenth-century Tolgsky Monastery. The church is a seventeenth-century structure as are the enormous Bell-Tower, Refectory, and Hospital. None of the earlier monastery buildings have survived. There is a great number of smaller churches in Yaroslavl, each of which has its own history and unique features.

      

      
Rybinsk is an old historical town in the Yaroslavl Region of Russia, the administrative centre of Rybinsk Municipal District. 

      
Rybinsk stands 366 km away from Moscow and 79 km away from the regional centre Yaroslavl. Its population is 206 746 persons as of January, 1st, 2010. Rybinsk is a well-known town of the Golden Ring of Russia, and the former “capital of barge haulers” that still keeps its colouring of an ancient merchant town. When you find yourself here it is like shifting into the canvasses by Peredvizhniki (the Wanderers aka the Itinerants, a group of Russian realist artists of the 19th century) with their love of Russian landscapes and characters. Rybinsk is one of the most ancient towns of the North-East Russia. Rybinsk became known as a large fishing village on Volga River from the 12th century. The excavations round the town revealed the facts proving the existence of the Bronze Age dwellings in this region. The settlement called the grave-yard Ust-Sheksna preceding to Rybinsk is referred to in the chronicle dating to 1071. In 1137 Charter of Immunity of Novgorod Prince Svyatoslav Olegovich named this settlement "Rybansk" for the first time. There are many places of interest in the town, among them the buildings designed by the well-known architect Carlo Rossi. Thanks to the town’s architecture Rybinsk is often compared to Saint Petersburg. There is an expression here: “The small Rybinsk town is a corner of Petersburg”. In Rybinsk one can still feel the spirit of old merchantry life-style and an ancient district town. Rybinsk History, Architecture and Art Museum-Preserve founded in 1910, is one of the largest museums of the Upper Volga. The museum houses interesting collections of minerals and insects that belonged to the old Russian Michalkov family. In 1918 furniture, plates and dishes, paintings, some works of the West-European art and decorative art of the 18-19th centuries were taken from the Mikhalkovs’ family estate and became the exhibits of the museum.

      

      
 

      
 

Sources: http://tourism.interfax.ru 

Author: Anna Dorozhkina

Tags:      

Next Previous


You might also find interesting:

Pobeda Will Fly To Goa
29.12.2016
Korean Air Resumed Regular Flights From Seoul to St. Petersburg
24.04.2017
Avalanche Safety Service Will Be Created In Kirovsk
17.04.2017
Visit Petersburg Tourist Offices Appear In New Cities World Wide
17.05.2017
Belokurikha Welcomes Chinese Tourists
28.02.2017



comments powered by Disqus




Comment on our site


RSS   twitter   facebook   submit

Bookmark and Share

Russian Parliament in Action

search on the map
TAGS:
Altai  Dinosaurus  tourism  Vladivostok  corruption  Oranienbaum  Russian society  Spring Ball  Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Russia  Marat Babin  Russian border security  Russian hotels  Russian history  Russian airlines  Moscow State History Museum  Russian tourism  Alexander Aleksandrov  Pskov Region  Kirov  Russian Cinema  Archeology  Russian painting  Hulk  Russian business  weapons  Russian Poetry  Moscow Ocean Park  Festivals of St. Petersburg  Painting  Russian medicine  Sochi 2014 Paralympic Games  Russian Literature  Russia opposition  animal-assisted therapy   Boris Nemtsov  Sukhoi Civil Aircraft  Russian businessmen  VKontakte  Olympic Truce Wall  Locomotives  Exhibitions in Moscow  Russian artists  Murmansk  Concerts in Moscow  Alexander Pushkin State Museum  Moscow  Golden Mask  human behaviour  EU sanctions  the Red Book 


Travel Blogs
Top Traveling Sites