The islands of the Monrepos Park near St. Petersburg will be open for tourists in summer.
The work on the restoration of the coastline of the islands in the area of the “Falling Stone” in the “Monrepos Park” Natural Museum-reserve in Vyborg (Leningrad region) is being completed. Now restorers conduct the coast protection works of the islands “Palatki”, “Pampushinki” and the “Kolonny” island with the use of gabions - iron nets filled with stones. This method makes it possible to save the natural landscape of the islands, hiding all fixing elements inside. “Monrepos Park” is the only rocky landscape park in Russia. Its history is connected with the name of the President of the St. Petersburg Academy of Sciences, Ludwig Heinrich von Nicolay who acquired the estate in 1788.
Author: Anna Dorozhkina