Add to favorite
 
russian visa
    Kolomna

Kolomna is pierced by the Ryazan Tract the old road runs along the October Revolution Street. The city is surrounded by a by-pass road.

Several districts along the old Ryazan Tract boast historical buildings of the XIX century, and No.192 of the October Revolution Street hosts apartments, previously belonging to I.I Lazhechnikov, a Russian writer. 54-meter-high bell tower of the St. John the Evangelist Church dominates over the other side of the road, which can be reached via pedestrian subway, forming a square together with shopping stalls and a parking place. Neighbouring square of Two Revolutions is notable for the monument to those shot for their participation in the Revolt of 1905.

When one crosses the street, moving away from the shopping stalls, he finds himself in the historic centre of Kolomna, located on the shore of the Moskva River near the confluence of the Kolomenka River. Kolomnas Kremlin, built in XVI century, now has only six towers instead of original 17 and fragments of protective walls. Near the stalls one can admire Kremlin walls, Granovitaya Tower and the largest Kremlin tower round Marinkina Tower (named after wife of False Dmitry, Marina Mniszech, who is believed to have died there). Despite the fact the Kremlin lost its original appearance, because the citadel became less important in the middle of XVII century and was taken to pieces by local population, Kremlins walls and towers still fascinate visitors by striking height and splendour. Fortresss walls used to be 18 meters high and 3-4.5 meters thick.

In the inner yard of the Granovitaya Tower there are buildings of Brusensky convent, surrounded by the fence with little sharp tips (Lazhechnikova St., 12); functional pyramid Uspenskaya (the Resurrection) church of XVI century with refectory and domeless cathedral of Exaltation of the Holy Cross. The Brusensky convent is adjacent to the fortress wall.

Inside the Kremlin one can admire the Cathedral Square with ancient temples: five-domed Uspensky (the Assumption) town cathedral (1672-1682) and Tikhvinskaya church with large pyramid bell tower (1692). To the north from the cathedral Voskresenskaya (the Resurrection) church (XVI century) is situated. All monuments of architecture carry Government Protected signs, but lack signs with their names, thus its quite hard to understand what church is in front of you without guides help. The Cathedral Square is connected with Pyatnitskie (Friday) Gates via Lazareva Street. To the left from the gates there is the church of Nikola Gostinny (about 1530), and near it you can see the church of Holy Cross day, a square building with Empire style columns. So-called city trade quarters are situated eastwards from the Pyatnitskie (Friday) Gates ancient houses and Nikolskaya church of XVII century are quite attractive sights.

Near the Uspensky (the Assumption) town cathedral Novo-Golutvin functional convent, established in 1801, is located and is notable for three-storied Empire style bell tower (1825). The convents territory is a real pleasure for an eye, especially elegant building of Troitskaya church (1680). Another attraction of the convent is two-storied long building of XII century pontifical house. Pokrovskaya (Holy Protection) chapel is located near the northern gates of the convent.

Regional Museum of Local Lore, History and Economy can be found in the former building of Michael the Archangel church (Grazhdanskaya St., 71). The museum exhibits various show-pieces nature, history and arts of the region are open for acquaintance. The museum can be reached by taking a tram from Kolomna railway station. Kolomnas tram, by the way, carries its guests and citizens since 1948.

While walking along the October Revolution Street, one can reach the Soviet Square, where a hotel and the City Council are located. The Street of the Second International, where one can get by turning from the October Revolution Street towards city market, hosts the Temple of the Most Holy Trinity, which was erected in 1696.

Kolomnas outskirts shelter two monasteries: Bobrenev monastery is located in Staroe Bobrenevo village on the opposite shore of the Moskva River; its territory opens fascinating scenery Kolomnas centre. Staro-Golutvin monastery is located almost near the confluence of the Moskva and Oka Rivers, near the railroad. The monastery is on his way to renaissance its buildings are being restored.



Tags: Moscow Region     


Region:


City:






Comment on our site


RSS   twitter   facebook   submit

Bookmark and Share

search on the map

Kolomna
  (Moscow Region)

Cities of the region

    Sergiev Posad
    Dmitrov
    Pavlovsky Posad
    Serpukhov
    Korolev
    Dubna
    Zaraisk
    Klin
    Podolsk
    Gzhel
    Pushchino
    Balashikha
    Mozhaisk
    Zvenigorod
    Zheleznodorozhny
    Zhukovsky
    Krasnogorsk
    Aprelevka

Accommodation
History

TAGS:
Russian Orthodox Church  Exhibitions in Moscow  Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Russia  Russian Schools Sites  Zabegina  Classical Music  Alexander Tatarsky  Astrakhan  Science Festivals  Pevek  Russian Cinema  Moscow  Russian tourism  Regional Cuisines  Komi Republic  Armenia  travel to Russia  Murmansk  Andrey Bely  Aleksey Savatyugin  Concerts in St. Petersburg  Microrobot  international cooperation  Russian politics  Festivals in Moscow  Vilyuchinsky Pass  Yakutia  Russian rental market  Russian business  International Asteroid Day  Rock Music  Repin Academic Dacha  VKontakte  Krasnoyarsk  New Films  Republic of Tatarstan  Rally Beijing - Paris   Russian regions  Literary Awards  sports in Moscow  Darwin Museum  Paleontology  Moscow Tourist Attractions  Russian retail  Ski resorts  Kostroma  Moscow monuments  Yuri Milner  St. Petersburg  Russian Art & Antique Fair 


Travel Blogs
Top Traveling Sites