Add to favorite
russian visa

Zaraisk was first mentioned in the Russian chronicles in 1146 as the town of Osetr. Later the town was burnt by nomads and rebuilt only in 1225 under the name of Krasniy.

In 1225 the icon with Saint Nicholas was moved from Korsun to future Zaraisk. The icon was placed into a wooden church, built specially for the religious treasure. In 1237 Krasniy was destroyed by Tatar hordes of Baty-khan and disappeared from the chronicles until 14th century.

Restored town got another name Nogorodok-on-Osetr, since it stood on the river Osetr. In 1521 the town joined the Ryazan princedom. Prince Vasiliy ordered to build a stone Kremlin in the town, and it was finished in 1531 under the guidance of famous Italian architect. The town became an important defense base of southern suburbs of Moscow. In 1533 the Kremlin was first time attacked by the Crimean Tatars, which later repeated attacks in 1542, 1570, 1573 and1591.

In 1533 Prince Vasiliy of Moscow visited Zaraisk, and later his son, Ivan the Terrible, also came to the town. Ivan the Fourth ordered to build the church of St. John the Baptist, which was finished in 1550. The town actively participated in political life during the Time of Troubles (1584-1613).

The name Zaraisk became final in 17th century. In 1669 first Russian military ship was set afloat near Zaraisk. In 1673 Crimean Tatars attacked the town for the last time, and since that time the town lost it defense importance, becoming trade and craft centre instead. In 1681 the town survived a great fire, and many new building were constructed.

In 1778 Catherine the Great granted the town status of the district city. The following year brought Zaraisk the coat-of-arms. The town was one of bread trade centre, but in 1847 new Ryazan tract bypassed Zaraisk, and the town lost its trade significance. In 1860 central part of the town suffered from a severe fire. The railroad, connecting Moscow and Ryazan, also bypassed the town and caused decline of the towns economy. However, in 1870 27-km-long feeder linked Zaraisk with the main railroad.

Despite unfavorable economic situation the town acquired several industrial enterprises: leather, footwear and textile industry. In 1858 German businessman opened a plant for producing feather mixture for pillows and mattresses and later a footwear workshop. In 1900 spinning and weaving factory opened in Zaraisk.

In 1929 the town became a district centre within the Moscow region, and later administrative status of Zaraisk changed one more time. During the Great Patriotic War (World War II) Soviet soldiers prevented fascist troops from going further to Russia it happened near Zaraisk in December 1941. The town was the active participant of the military scene.

In 1949 construction works of a highway between Zaraisk and Lukhovitsy was finished, and buses started taking citizens of Zaraisk to Moscow and Kolomna. Today you wont find skyscrapers in the town, but you can take a look at the ancient Kremlin.




Comment on our site

RSS   twitter      submit

  (Moscow Region)

Cities of the region

    Sergiev Posad
    Pavlovsky Posad


Strongmen   Russian scientists  active holidays in Russia  Gaming  Exhibitions in Moscow  biology  Russian Cinema  Tragedy  St. Petersburg  Zaryadie Park  Rostov-on-Don  Vekselberg  All-Russian Museum of Handcrafts and Folk Art  airport transfer in Russia  Sochi Olympic Games 2014  Sochi Olympics tickets  Russian business  Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Russia  Yury Gagarin  Tretyakov Gallery  Pousadebnoe Koltso  Sochi  Russian Museum  education in Russia  Buckwheat   Russian oil and gas industry   reconstruction  Red Square  Russian Rock  Rubin  Moscow  Yakutia  Archaeology  Manzherok  Pancakes   Bashneft  Lilac Museum  Sports  FIFA World Cup   Sketches  Alexander Tikhomirov  Russian science  Russian opposition leaders  Russian economy  Kuba  Charity  Russian gas  Russian tourism  Moscow International Marathon  

Travel Blogs
Top Traveling Sites