Add to favorite
 
russian visa
    Opochka

Opochka is a Russian town in the Pskov Region. It stands on the banks of the Velikaya River (the basin of Lake Pskov), 62 km to the northwest of Pustoshka railway station, 130 km to the south of Pskov.

The town with the population of 10 599 people (as of 2014) takes the area of 17 sq km.

History of Opochka

It was first recorded in the Pskov chronicle of 1414 as the town of Opochka located on the bend of River Velikaya. It was built as a new southern fortress for defending Pskov instead of the Kolozha fortress destroyed by armies of the Lithuanian prince Vitovt in 1406.

Opochka withstood the siege of Lithuanian and Tatar armies in 1426 and that of German troops in 1427. The town was burned down in 1441.

During the Livonian War of 1558-83 numerous garrison was settled in Opochka, which was then a resting base for Russian armies.

During the Polish-Swedish occupation in the early 17th century Opochka's garrison participated in release of the fortresses of Zavolochye, Nevel and Sebezh.

In 1708 the town of Opochka was attributed to the Ingermanland Province (St. Petersburg Province from 1710), and became part of the Pskov Province in 1719. In 1772-76 it was the center of the Pskov Province and from 1777 it was the district town of Opochka of the Pskov Province.

In the 18th -19th centuries it was one of the leading trade and craft centers of the Pskov Province and the center of flax processing.

In 1856 the district town of Opochka of the Pskov Province had 6 churches, 472 houses, and 86 shops.

During the Great Patriotic War of 1941-45 it was occupied by fascist armies on July 8, 1941 and released by armies of the 2nd Baltic frontline on July 15, 1944. The town was badly ruined.

Sightseeing

The historical part of the town harbors the earth rampart (15th century), stone constructions of the 18th century, two-storeyed merchant houses and warehouse constructions of the mid 19th century.

The Tersteni Village in the vicinities of Opochka harbours the wooden Resurrection Church with two side-altars (1776) and a tent belltower.

Not far from the town there is Petrovsky grange, where there used to be a manufactory producing gobelins and carpets for the imperial court. The 18th century palace there has come down to us. The nearby village of Stupino had the Kutuzovs family estate.



Tags: Opochka     


Region:


City:






Comment on our site


RSS   twitter   facebook   submit

Bookmark and Share

search on the map

Opochka
  (Pskov Region)

Cities of the region

    Pskov
    Izborsk
    Velikiye Luki
    Ostrov
    Nevel
    Dno


TAGS:
Sergey Malyutin  travel to Russia  Siberian Fire  Moscow monuments  State Museum of Local Studies  Russian people  advertising in Russia  Mstislav Rostropovich Music Festival  Ukraine crisie  Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Russia  Valeriya Guy Germanika  Alexander Griboyedov  Voroshilovsky bridge  Festivals in Moscow  Joseph Stalin  Aleksey Mikhailovich Tishayshy  Sochi  Arts and Crafts  polar region  Ganymede  Russian circus  Chukotka  Earth Hour  Moscow Architecture  Russian space agency  Boris Nemtsov  Russian exhibitions  Russian regions  St. Petersburg Parks   3D Films  Russian Composers  Russian Monuments  Primorye  Russian opposition  Russian business  Moscow  Russian Cinema  Russian tourism  St. Petersburg  Plane rash In Kazan  Fashion Futurum  Exhibitions in Saint Petersburg  Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts  Modern Art Festival in Botanic Garden  Svetlogorsk  Exhibitions in Moscow  Russian history  accident  Dvortsovaya Tower  East Meets West Gallery 


Travel Blogs
Top Traveling Sites