Add to favorite
russian visa

Toropets was first recorded in 1168. It was named after River Torop that it stands on. The hydronym comes from the Russian word torop meaning hurry due to the rush of the river near the rapids at the influx of Toropa into Western Dvina.

Until the 12th century Toropets was a frontier town of the Smolensk Principality and was fortified with massive ground shafts. From 1167 it was the center of an apanage principality; its first prince was Mstislav Rostislavovich Khrabry (the Brave), the son of the Smolensk prince Rostislav. After the latters death the town was inherited by his son Mstislav.

In the 13th early 14th centuries Toropets was repeatedly attacked by Lithuanian feudal lords. In 1226 the town had a battle with Lithuanians who were defeated by troops of the Novgorod prince Yaroslav and the Toropets prince David (brother of Mstislav). In the winter of 1245 Lithuanian princes attacked Toropets and destroyed it, but were broken by Alexander Nevsky's troops and Novgorodians. In the 1350s -1360s Toropets was occupied by the Lithuanian prince Olgerd and made part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In 1503 it was won by Russian troops and attributed to the Moscow State. Toropets District was established. In the early 17th century the town was ruined by the Poles who were forced out in 1609. In 1617 Toropets was attacked by Ukrainian Cossacks.

In the 16th -17th centuries Toropets was one of the considerable trade and craft centers at the western boundary of the Russian state. Currying was developed there from the 18th century.

In 1856 the district town Toropets of the Pskov Province had 19 churches, 863 houses, and 88 shops.

After the construction in 1905-07 of Toropets section of the Bologoye - Polotsk railroad the town became the center of trade in wood products.

During the Great Patriotic War of 1941-45 Toropets was occupied by fascist troops on August 29, 1941. It was released on January 21, 1942 by troops of the Northwest front in the course of Toropetsk-Holmsk military operation.


Toropets extends in a cemi-circular shape on the bank of Solomeno Lake. One will see high shafts of the High Small ancient settlement in its southern outskirts and the Big Old ancient settlement on the cape where River Toropets starts from the lake.

Archeological and historical monuments here include the former Trinity Monastery of Nebin (17-18 centuries) and the Virgin Cathedral of Korsun (1795-1804, arch. Osip Spirkin). There is a range of old churches in Toropets as well: the Epiphany Church (1751-71), St. Nicholas Church (1666), Pokrovsky Church (1766), John the Precursor Church (1703-04), Kazan Church (1698-1765), Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Church (1742-62), etc.

Residential stone houses of the mid 18th early 19th centuries are also of historical and architectural value.




Comment on our site

RSS   twitter   facebook   submit

Bookmark and Share

search on the map

  (Tver Region)

Cities of the region

    Vyshny Volochyok
    Zapadnaya Dvina


Festivals in Saint Petersburg  Night of Arts Festival  ENEA  Klin  Russian Cinema  Siberia  Kostroma  Russian tourism  Saint Petersburg  Exhibitions in Penza  RusRating  Igor Grabar  Monuments  Harold Feinstein  Rossiya Bank  MIAS test-drive  Lipetsk   Pobeda  Moscow  Single Ticket  Russian ballet dancers  Politkosvkaya murder case  Dmitry Kravchenko expedition  St. Petersburg  Russian Metro  "Archimedes" Inventions Salon  Nina Alovert  Russian regions  FIFA world cup 2018 tickets  Sakhalin  Charity  Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Russia  Silver Bear  incident  Festivals in Moscow  Russian football team  travel to Russia  Vyacheslav Tikhonov   Tretyakov Gallery  Vladimir Volodin  The Moscow Region  Russian academy of sciences  Novgorod Region  spring conscription  McDonalds  Urban Garden  Arctic  Kolomenskoye  Exhibitions in Moscow  Russian business 

Travel Blogs
Top Traveling Sites