Add to favorite
 
russian visa
    Tambov

Tambov is a Mordovian word meaning deep pool. Since Tambov territory was inhabited by the Mordovians, many places still keep their Mordovian names. The city of Tambov was founded in 1636 as a fortress to protect southern territories of the Muscovy from nomad attacks. Later, when borders moved southwards, the town lost its defensive status.

For a long time the town looked like a large and unkempt village. In 1779 Tambov became the chief city of Tambov vicegerency, and seven years later famous Russian poet Gavril Derzhavin arrived to rule the town. Tambovs coat-of-arms appeared in 1781 it showed the hive and three golden bees on sky-blue, symbols of hardworking and beekeeping.

Development of Tambov started only in 19th century at that time 12 thousand citizens dwelled in the town. Alexander Kornilov became Tambovs governor in 1838 and ruled the city for five years, bringing many good changes to the region. In 1843 Kornilov opened educational institution for daughters of bankrupt noblemen. The governor helped first Tambov newspaper Tambov Regional News to appear in 1943. Tambov hosted school for clerks, regional hospital and cultural centre.

The middle of the 19th century brought launch of stone building construction shopping arcade (Gostiny Dvor), public offices, grammar school for boys and Alexandrovsky institute. Later Naryshkin reading room, State Duma building and Nobility Assembly decorated the city. In 19th century Tambov was the centre for cereal wholesale and other industries developed very slowly. In 1897 the city was populated with 48 thousand people, and thirteen years later population reached 68400 citizens.

In 1913 the city boasted water pipeline, electrical illumination, several secondary educational institutions, two colleges and over 30 other educational institutions. Before October revolution struck, Tambovs largest enterprises were railway works with 800 workers and candle plant with 85 employers. Citizens also owned about 30 small plants.

After Communists came to rule Russia almost all churches in Tambov were ruined and replaced with plants, clubs and educational institutions. Residential construction also developed rapidly, since the city turned to industrial centre, and new flats and houses were required. Standard 5- and 9-storeyed houses offered a solution to the housing problem.

The World War II (Great Patriotic war) brought grief to the city and killed many Tambov dwellers. The city hosted zillions of refugees and served as an enormous hospital for wounded soldiers and civilians. Since Tambov was located very close to the front, large military elements were formed in the city for further transportation to war theatre.

Today the city of Tambov is a large industrial centre, but also has many cultural and educational institutions for its population to follow the beat of civilization. Green areas on the banks of the river Tsna are perfect for having a rest and walking around.



Tags:


Region:


City:






Comment on our site


RSS   twitter      submit




TAGS:
FIFA Russia 2018  Ivan Sechenov  Russian scientists  Yekaterinburg Monuments  banks  Arseny Tarkovsky  Primorye  Stay Home Online Events  Russian sportsmen  Mikhail Bulgakov  Russian business  accommodation in Russia  Russia culture  Uninhabited Islands  Roman Abramovich  Old Moscow  Speed Dating   Adler  Smolensk  Kazan, Jazz  Comics  Russian science  Russian tourism  Cars  St. Petersburg  Book Illustrations  PhotoHub_Manometr  Russian circus  PASE  Bulgakov House Museum  Anton Chekhov  Sochi  Russian economy  Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Russia  Alexey Venetsianov  Russian places of interest  Vandalism  Russian Cinema  Exhibitions in Moscow  Greenpeace  Moscow  National Russian Drinks  Russian fashio  Alexei Navalny  Russian space exploration  Doll Exhibition  Kirov Region  Russian stock market  Kemerovo Region  Andrey Tarkovsky 


Travel Blogs
Top Traveling Sites