Add to favorite
 
123
Subscribe to our Newsletters Subscribe to our Newsletters Get Daily Updates RSS
russian visa


The Oldest Houses In Moscow: The Cellar At the Treasury Court
July 15, 2014 12:09


(Source: http://clubs.ya.ru/4611686018427416298)

The cellar at the Treasury Court

Until recently, the oldest civil building of Moscow was considered the Facets Chamber of the Kremlin. Now we have another record - the so-called Underground Chamber of the Treasury Court.

From XIV century the cellar of the Annunciation cathedral served as the prince’s treasury, but over time the treasury became bigger than this cellar. In 1485 the spacious Treasury Court enclosed by a high was built to the east of the cathedral, it became the place where jewelry, curiosities, princely attire and the most revered shrines were kept and protected from fire and thieves. In XVIII century all the buildings of the Court were demolished, but at the end of XIX century the immured and forgotten cellar at the south-western corner of the cathedral was suddenly discovered. In a remarkable manner, this ancient building did not come to the attention of Soviet researchers.

Maybe because the remains of Moscow princesses and tsarinas were stored in the basement since 1929, from Evdokia of Moscow to Natalia Naryshkina. They were namely stored: 40 tons of stone coffins were dragged here by the museum workers in the days when the Kremlin Ascension Monastery was being destroyed. The beaten covers, heaps of bones in the corners – probably in the twentieth century they already understood that nobody should better see this.

The graves were remembered only in the year of the 2000 anniversary of Christianity, when the study of the basement began. This is a large brick vaulted hall, its construction began in 1485. Originally the building had a second floor and was adjoined to the wall of the former Arkhangelsk Cathedral built by Ivan Kalita.

The western wall contains the door into the hallway connecting the basement with another ancient room (which is whelmed now) and the broad white stone stairs. Now the stairs do not lead anywhere, but earlier they lead to the gate connecting the Treasury Court with the Sobornaya Square. Now the underground chamber is restored and is an official burial place of Russian Monarchesses. 


Sources: http://strana.ru 

Author: Anna Dorozhkina

Tags: Moscow Oldest Houses Bedroom Chambers Varvarka Chamber Facets Chamber  

Next Previous

You might also find interesting:

City Hunter: Porsche 911 History in Pictures City Hunter: Philosophical Monuments in Moscow Russian Winter: Christmas Markets and Fairs in Moscow City Hunter: Moscow Museum of S. A. Esenin A Short Guide To Gorky Park









Comment on our site


RSS   twitter   facebook   submit

Bookmark and Share

Flowers Delivery

search on the map
TAGS:
Kaliningrad Region  Rock Music  Moscow Kremlin   Russian Literature  Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Russia  Russian Cinema  Moscow  Russian tourism  Russian history  Bryansk Region  Russian Animation  Archeology  Bor  Children's Writers  Semyon Chelyuskin  Lukhovka  Russian art critics  communism  Nina Niss-Goldman  Museum of Local Studies  Archaeology  Saint Petersburg  Graffiti  Russian sportsmen  treason law  Exhibitions in Moscow  Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week   Igor Sechin  Leningrad Region  New Museums  Erast Garin  Old Greece  Tyumen  Russian trains  Barrows  Russian newspapers  technology  Rostov Region  Atyashevo  Mars  Painting  panoramic binoculars  Leonid Pasternak  Russian business  Lilya Brik  Stroke   Russian exhibitions  FIFA World Cup  Moscow City  Mikhail Beketov 


Travel Blogs
Top Traveling Sites