Add to favorite
 
Subscribe to our Newsletters Subscribe to our Newsletters Get Daily Updates RSS
russian visa


History Of Kingisepp
June 30, 2017 17:59


(Source: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki)

Finno-Ugric tribes votes: Vod, Ingria and Chud have lived in the basins of the rivers of Narva and Luga since ancient times. The Slavs began to settle in these places from V-VI centuries. Kingisepp was founded by the Novgorod Boyar Ivan Fedorovich as the “Yam” fortress in 1384. It has been built in 33 days.

The fortress got its name from the Finnish tribe “Yam” which has lived on the banks of the Luga River since ancient times. The town is referred to as the town of Yama (1395), Yamsky Town (1397) and Yama-Town (1444) in the chronicles. The city was called Yamburg from 1703 to 1922, in the year 1922 it was renamed as Kingisepp, by the name of the Estonian Communist. The town passed under the jurisdiction of Sweden twice: at the end of the Livonian war, in 1583 (returned to Russia in 1585), then as a result of the Stolbovsky peace treaty of 1617 for almost 100 years. Finally, the town was returned to Russia in 1703 during the Great Northern War. In 1708 Yamburg was passed into the possession of His Highness Prince Menshikov, and after his exile it was transferred to the Treasury. By the Decree of Catherine II Yamburg was given the status of a town.

The fortress of Yamburg was repaired and rebuilt several times. In 1681 Swedes blew up the walls and towers. The fortress virtually ceased to exist, only the citadel survived. In the place of the destroyed walls the Swedes began to build bastions, but did not have time to complete the work by the beginning of the Great Northern War. In the second half of the 18th century they began to dismantle the fortress so that to built presumably a cloth factory. In 1816 the fortress was completely dismantled. Only its high rolls and remnants of walls have survived until our days. In the first half of the 18th century the factories for manufacture of crystal glassware for the Royal Court were built in Yamburg.

And now the town has one of the largest glass factories in the North-west of the country. In the early 20th century Yamburg County was called “Baronial” - there was a large number of manors of old Russian-Swedish-German noble families. The owners of the estates were the families of Korf, Tiesenhausen, Sievers, Nesselrode, Rotkirch, Weimarn, Block, Traubenberg, Bistrom, Albrecht and others. Some manor complexes have survived until the present day.


Sources: http://strana.ru 

Author: Anna Dorozhkina

Tags:      

Next Previous

You might also find interesting:

Best Time to Visit Vyshny Volochyok The Districts And Settlements Of Greater Sochi: Lazarevsky And Adlersky Sibai History Of Patriarshiy Garden Elbrus And Cheget Mountains





comments powered by Disqus




Comment on our site


RSS   twitter   facebook   submit

Bookmark and Share

Russian Parliament in Action

search on the map
TAGS:
obituary  Beat Film Festival  Santa Claus  Alyosha Popovich  Kazan Cathedral  Russian legislation  Packing  Spartak Moscow  Russian business  Vorobyevy Hills  Russian Cinema  Russian performance arts  Activists  Exhibitions in Moscow  Russian tourism  Vladimir  iPhone 5s  Zabaikalsk   Leningrad Region  Rosneft  the Russian Army   Film Distribution  accident  the Bolshoi Theatre  Bella Potemkina  Russian musicians  Archeology  Vladimir Voinovich  Moscow  Russian history  ecology  Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Russia  Russian journalists  Karavaychuk  Russian immigration  Lake Teletskoye  Nature Reserves  S7 Airlines  US sanctions  South Korea  EU sanctions  Painting  Russian Rock  Russian children  Ufa  Russian church  Oleg Mityaev  Arctic shelf  Russian shops  Russian Literature 


Travel Blogs
Top Traveling Sites