The “Bezymyannaya” fortress battery is one of the oldest fortifications of the Vladivostok Fortress. In 1862 the hill of “Bezymyannaya” was used to place smoothbore guns and deploy a platoon of mountain artillery. Since that moment the hill has been called “Battery”.
A more powerful line of coastal fortifications was erected on this place in early 1880s under the leadership of the military engineer Captain V.P. Shirokov. After the construction of powerful batteries armed with modern weapons on the Russky Island in 1909-1914, the “Bezymyannaya” fortress battery largely lost its combat importance.
The builders of the Vladivostok Fortress took into account the disadvantages that led to the fall of the seaside fortress of Port Arthur in 1905. All the main facilities were interconnected by roads, underground communication cables, and supplied with electricity. This made it almost impossible to attack Vladivostok from the sea.
In 1917 the works in the fortress almost stopped, and in 1923 after the Soviet power established in Primorye, the fortress was altogether dismantled, according to the agreement between the Japanese command and the command of the People’s Revolutionary Army of the Far Eastern Republic concerning the demilitarization of Vladivostok.
The remaining arms were dismantled, and the fortifications were abandoned for a long time. The “Bezymyannaya” fortress battery was forgotten during the Civil War; in 1923 it got completely disarmed. In 1930s the “Bezymyannaya” fortress battery was partially destroyed and rebuilt as several auto repair shops.
The Russia Expedition - Winter Trans-Siberian Adventure tour starts in Moscow and ends in Vladivostok. The Russia Expedition - Winter Trans-Siberian Adventure is an Expedition tour that takes 15 days taking you from Moscow to Vladivostok and through other destinations in Europe.
Author: Anna Dorozhkina